Wednesday, July 28, 2010

How sad is it that humans resort to an internet site for advice because talking to our neighbor is...?

politically incorrect? Doesn't it seem like people have become so ';perfect'; that we are no longer able to just be honest and real about life's problems? I love this site and I love all your input, but how sad that I feel more comfortable talking to you than to others.How sad is it that humans resort to an internet site for advice because talking to our neighbor is...?
I don't think it's sad at all.





If I have some very random question, that's very specific, one person may not have the answer. Therefore, I haven't satisfied my need. By using the internet, I'm connected to thousands, if not millions, of neighbors who can share their thoughts and experiences about something that I'm wanting to know more about.





I still talk to my neighbors, and I still talk to my family. And many times I will talk with my family about some private matters. But, once again, if they don't have a quality response (which none of us can have for every topic), then the internet is our new ';encyclopedia'; that we can go to for more information.





When people use the internet as their primary mode of communication, that's when it becomes ';sad.'; I have no problem with people who email, chat, etc., but when you would rather sit for hours and talk to strangers as opposed to go out, enjoy fresh air and hang out with your ';physical'; friends, you need help.How sad is it that humans resort to an internet site for advice because talking to our neighbor is...?
I don't have neighbors (well I have my mother in law if that counts as a neighbor). But the only questions I have asked are ';What's the name of this song? and Who is going to watch a certain TV show?';. I think it is cool that you can get help from others that have had the same or similar experience.
some people just feel more comfy talking to people that they are not looking at if that makes sense
I wasn't aware that talking to my neighbors was pc. I have a


nodding acquaintances with my neighbors. I feel people have stopped talking to there neighbors because you don't know what kind of sociopath is living next door to you. As long as my neighbors keep their noise to themselves I get along just fine.


I do, however; talk with my co-workers all the time.
One thing I know about the WWW is that it's as much a curse as a blessing.





Involvement in a forum like this one allows us some anonimity, and for many that may be more comfortable than any face to face encounter.





Here we can ask questions, and there are many valid ones that come up,,, as well as answer questions,,,most often in a valid, respectful way. We can dismiss that which goes against what we believe, or know, or want to know, that isn't being regarded,,,more impersonally than facing someone of different opinions and opposite views.





To debate someone face to face need not be a battle if we learn to accept that others may have opposing viewpoints to ours, and have tolerance for that situation. Once we GET IT, that not all are of the same mind, we can relate better to everyone.





Example: One is Catholic, One is Muslim. That doesn't have to be a battle ground, but certainly can be an educational warehouse, opened for increasing awareness, and understanding.





Rev. Steven
it is the nature of our being to let ourselves share with strangers because then we need not fear the repercussions should we share something about ourselves that may not be acceptable in our local society
Unfortunately, we have become fairly isolated as a society. Many people might not feel comfortable talking about their problems with acquaintances or neighbors because they might fear that their problems would be talked about with others. This forum is a lot like the advice columns in newspapers (i.e., Ann Landers) and people probably like the anonymity of this kind of forum. However, I do agree with you that people don't seem to have people within their own lives to communicate to.
You are right. People don't talk as much as they used to. I think because we don't have as much time as before. The time we do have we like to spend at home, hence on the computer. I don't even like to chat on the phone as much as I used to. This seems somehow better...? I think that it is because we are over-worked and over-tired. Of course the fact that we are in a technically oriented era helps. That is where we have been heading for a long time. To this. After this it will change and become something else.
Think about it this way. There are billions of people on the Earth. Of those maybe what 100 live close enough to throw a rock at? If your in a huge apt complex maybe 2,000?





You work with a group of how many people? How many do you have time at work to honestly get to know? Most people it's maybe 4 to 10. Some far less.





On the Internet you have probably close to a billion people now that you could meet. Maybe it's only 700,000 but after around 200,000 your spitting hairs until you get into the billions. Even still you cannot possibly meet everyone on the internet, or can you?





In a way you can. If everybody on the Internet got to read just one of your better answers or questions. Of those if hundreds found a common spark with who you were or if just ONE did, but it turned out to be the best friend you ever had. Is that truely sad?





The key point is that on the Net you can meet a wider diversity of people. You and they are stripped of the social and economic trappings that often keep people apart. So you get to meet the real person if they are honest online. If they are not then you didn't want to meet them anyways eh. I've made probably a dozen friends in the less than six months I've been on YA. Made lots more in different internet activities. I have no trouble making friends in RL however in RL I don't get to make friends with people in the UK, Australia, Germany, Russia, etc. In RL we are just people with more in common than the rest of the people in whatever gathering. The obscure edges are never matched though. If you have an arcane interest the odds of somebody you know in RL having the same interest are minimal. On the net there are others. No matter how rare the interest there's somebody else who shares it and it is very possible to find them on the net.





So I don't think it's sad at all.
I agree with you if your reason is to avoid face-to-face human contact or if you have friends and neighbors who are overly sensitive about being PC. That is sad. But also, perhaps that is why some feel more comfortable in anonymity.





But I think the virtue of asking questions online is that you get access to a much wider range of answers. Whatever troubles you, chances are there's someone out there who's already gone through it.
I think maybe it's ';safer';. I don't even become real honest with my closest friends anymore. There's too much room for gossip within people you know. Even though they claim it's because they ';care';, it's all crap, most people love to spread **** and analyze. Here I can ask to be analyzed when I want and ask advice, but it's safe asking because no one here can hurt me like a close friend or neighbor can. There are really no trust issues here so you can't be let down. Plus, you get total honesty, not what people think you want to hear.
Communication is a two-way process. This is not being done directly as you have rightly referred. Should be happy, at least, people are ready to share their wisdom thorugh internet.


VR
Well , I believe that the main point comes from the EYES .. lots of people feel very comfort when there are No eyes in the place in which they are .. so they act freely , and they just becom their own selves .. I agree with you also , that other some of people loves to talk in clearness , and face to face , and I wish yahoo , can make it soon , but I doupt it , cause the main idea OF THE INTERNET COMES FROM THE HIDDEN PART OF LIFE ...
And, to bring it one step farther, why not ask family? I know in some instances, some may not have the expertise to answer, and of course we can't ask advice of those who are the problem!
Yep. Pretty sad.
I do not feel it is sad at all. I would not ask my neighbor for anything becuase they are not nice people. You can get a lot of differnet views online.
It is sad that people strive to show they're ';perfect';, but I can see the good too. Online it's a bigger world, you might get more different opinions from different nationalities. I have a problem finding likeminded people especially in such small places.


Also because it might be easier not having to stand face to face with someone who might put you down, judge you or something. It can be easier online, which can also lead to you not getting trained facing people in real life.





Online it's often quicker, simpler, you don't take it as serious, it's just less trouble. + You get to stay anonymous so you can ask all the embarrassing things you want!
Not sad at all. I still talk to mu neighbors, but sometimes it's easier to ask someone random at 2:00 am than to call a neighbor then. People have crunched days and it's not always the same schedule as others'
I don't think we have become ';so perfect at all - I don't know any of my neighbors. We've never had a relationship anyway except for maybe a hello or a nod and I like it better that way.
Some of the questions I ask have already been posed to friends and family, but with no luck. Others, I would like an answer NOW, and I know I can get one here. Also, it's interesting to see a wide range of topics and to know that this forum spans the world. I realize, too, that anyone on here is open to questions, since they are here. Whereas, my neighbor might be offended or not have the time. It's just a really good additional outlet!
I don't talk to any of my neighbors about anything. I've only spoke to my closest neighbor, which is across a field from me, a couple of times. I keep to myself and they keep to their self. Just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment